The site of the village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch has been a settlement since the
Neolithic Era (4000–2000 BC).
Fishing and subsistence agriculture were the most common occupations for most of
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch's early existence.
During this time the island of Anglesey was only accessable by boat by crossing the Menai Strait.
Gaius Suetonius Paulinus
briefly invaded and captured the area during the Roman occupation of Britain.
The Romans temporarily abandoned the area in order to consolidate their forces against
but then held the area until the end of Roman occupation of Britain.
The area came under the control of the early mediaeval
Kingdom of Gwynedd after the Romans withdrew.
This was a feudal system of rule where the people worked small farms for the king.
In 1563 Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch had a population of only around 80 due to the rural nature of the settlement.
Much of the land was incorporated into the Earldom of Uxbridge with the introduction of estates in the 16th century.
Meanwhile the population of the village had "boomed", reaching 385 persons and 83 houses by the
Later, in 1815, the earldom became the Marquisate of Anglesey. At this time the inhabitants became tenant farmers on enclosures.
For example, in 1844, 92% of the land in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch was owned by just 3 persons.
The majority of the population was located in the old village i.e. Pentre Uchaf, Upper Village.
In 1826, with the construction of the
Menai Suspension Bridge
Anglesey was connected to the rest of Wales.
The ferry port at Holyhead connection with London followed in 1850 with the construction of the
and the North Wales Coast railway line.
At this time the village started to decentralise, with the new Lower Village (Pentre Isaf), being constructed around the railway station
and consisting mostly of shops and workshops. The Upper Village (Pentre Uchaf),
consisted of mainly the original older houses and farms.
The new railway and road network brought traders, customers and visitors from across Britain and Wales leading to the village became a hub of commerce.
The nation's very first meeting of the
occurred in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch on the 16th September, 1915 and the movement
(which had began in Canada) then spread throughout the British Isles.
The movement was founded with two definite aims. The first being the revitalisation of communities in rural areas, and of perhaps more importance,
encouragement of the increased involvement of women in the production of food as part of the war effort in The Great War.
Since then the aims and functions of the organisation have widened to become the United Kingdom's largest women's voluntary organisation.
In 2005 the Women's Institute celebrated its 100th anniversary in the United Kingdom.